During your stay in Van der Valk Hotel Zaltbommel, you should definitely visit the main city of region Bommelerwaard! This beautiful fotress town is only 2 kilometers away from the hotel and is therefore easy to reach.
HIGH LIGHTS OF ZALTBOMMEL
These highlights are an absolute must see!!
- Sint Maarten’s Church: This obtuse tower without spire is a beautiful example of the so-called ‘Nederrijnse’ Gothics. The organ is the center piece of the church. Climb the tower and enjoy the wonderful view on the city.
- Maarten van Rossum house/City castle: In this monumental building, you can view the collection of Fiep Westendorp and you will learn everything about the art and history of Zaltbommel and the region Bommelerwaard.
- The Old Water tower: This tower of 21 meters has been well known in the environment for decades. In the early days, the water tower was a supplier of drinking water. Nowadays, it is reconstructed to a residence. Walk around the tower and enjoy the great view.
- City tour: A walking tour along the beautiful building and arts! Join a guided tour or make the trip on your own pace. Do you have difficulty walking? Then choose the route suitable for wheelchairs.
- Gutter Ghost trail: Have you ever heart of the 30 Gutter Ghosts? These funny characters can be discovered on the gutters of houses and tell you something about the residents of the house or about the history of the building.
TIPS FROM THE LOCAL RESIDENTS:
- Visit the Mikwe, a Jewish bathhouse, and learn everything about the Jewish heritage in Zaltbommel.
- Visit the shops in the streets ‘Waterstraat’, ‘Gamerschestraat’ and ‘Boschstraat’.
- Ask for a local beer in city brewery Orion.
- Check the agenda of Theater Poorterij and attend a show with music, cabaret or dance.
- Make an art tour during the events ‘Kunst Kiezel Klei’ or ‘Pracht in de Gracht’.
- Make a walk along the outside of the old city walls.
PARKING IN ZALTBOMMEL
Follow the parking route to park your car on one of the indicated parking lots. Do you stay in Zaltbommel for the entire day? Park your car for free in the street ‘Beersteeg’ and walk to the city in 10 minutes.
TOURIST INFORMATION IN ZALTBOMMEL
More information about Zaltbommel and its highlights can be found at the hotel reception or at the Tourist Information Point called ‘TRIP Bommelerwaard’. This information point is located in the old town hall (Address: Markt 10).
DID YOU KNOW THAT?
This beautiful fortress town along the river ‘Waal’ is more than 1000 years old. The former city name ‘Bommel’ is still used by the residents. Did you know that the name ‘Zaltbommel’ origins from the name ‘Salt’ or ‘Saut’ Bommel? The names refer to the trade of salt, which was important for the salting process of fish. Our Restaurant Salt is named after this.
More information: www.tripbommelerwaard.nl
Distance from the hotel: 2 km